Making Croutons from Scratch
Most people don't realize how easy it is to make croutons and how much better they taste than store bought croutons.
1 loaf of bread (Italian or French bread or multi-grain)
1/3 cup melted butter
garlic salt (to taste)
dried basil, oregano or Italian seasoning mix (to taste - I use about 1/2 teaspoon)
ground black pepper (optional)(to taste)
1. Cut the loaf of bread into cubes.
2. Melt the butter and stir in the basil (oregano or italian seasoning) and black pepper
3. Drizzle the melted butter herb mixture over the bread cubes and stir slightly
4. Spread these bread cubes on a baking/cookie sheet and sprinkle with the garlic salt (to taste).
5. Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 10 minutes - then flip or stir slightly and bake for another 10 minutes or until desired crispness (if you like a softer crouton then do 7 minutes twice) and then cool.