Making Grape Juice from scratch
This is my super easy, delicious and nutritious grape juice recipe. Grapes are so full of antioxidants like "resveratrol" from the skin (resveratrol is said to be an anti-aging supplement and even helps prevent breast cancer) and "grape seed extract" (which is said to help the body fight viruses, allergens and carcinogens). I am not a doctor but just do some research on your own and you will find many studies showing strong results in "grape antioxidant's" favor.
12 cups of concord grapes (removed from the vine, washed and sorted) NOTE: I discard/compost any grapes that have bird poop droppings or any grapes that look wormy.
4 cups of sugar
32 cups of water (preferably filtered water)
1. Prepare your grapes as described above (remove from the vine, wash & sort).
2. Gather your canning jars, lids and rings (you will need 8 quarts). Canning Basics - Jar Sizes. Also, gather all other canning supplies: Other Canning Supplies
3. Start the water boiling for Jar sterilization: Sterilizing Jars & Lids and in a different stock pot boil the 32 cups of filtered water.
5. Fill each jar with 1 1/2 cups of grapes (that have already been washed and sorted) and also add 1/2 cup of sugar to each jar (on top of the grapes).
6. Now fill each jar with the boiling filtered water up to the threads of the jar (about 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch of headspace)
9. Place all jars in a "Water Bath Canner" and process (boil) the filled jars for 30 minutes (make sure that the water level in the Canner is 1 inch above the tallest jar)
10. After boiling for 30 minutes remove the jars and place them on the counter or table to cool (I always place them on a cloth because there have been a few times when a jar cracked and then the contents oozed out making a mess - the cloth will help if that happens). You will hear the wonderful popping sound of your jars sealing.
(I wait at least 3 months before drinking my grape juice to really give the juice a chance to absorb all the flavor from the grapes - but if you are impatient then wait 2 months at the very least)
NOTE: When you are ready to drink this grape juice - simply open the jar and lift the lid (there should be a "pop" sound when lifting the lid). Then pour the juice into a strainer to separate the grapes from the juice. Then the juice is ready to drink.