Cream of Asparagus and Rice Soup
If you like Asparagus then you'll love this soup! It is full of creamy goodness - from the whipping cream to the cream cheese.
Also, I was able to use some of my garden fresh Frozen Asparagus (I know - "garden fresh" and "frozen" can't really mean the same thing - but if you are using a Vacuum Pack Machine - then it really does taste "garden fresh").
|Step #3 - the stock and asparagus have been added.|
1 onion (peeled and chopped) Printable Recipe
1 large celery stalk (washed and chopped)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups asparagus (fresh or Frozen Asparagus) (chopped)
4 cups Ham Stock (or chicken stock - if you use chicken stock then add 1/2 cup chopped ham to give the soup that smokey flavor)
1 cup basmatti rice (brown rice or wild rice is also good - not instant rice)
ground black pepper (to taste)
1 1/2 teaspoons dried Basil
1/2 block of cream cheese (cut 1 package of cream cheese in half)
1 1/2 cups whipping cream
1. Prepare the ingredients as listed above.
2. In a large stock pot - Saute the onion and celery in the olive oil for 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Add the asparagus and stock (NOTE: if you are using chicken stock then add the chopped ham during this step also).
4. Add in the seasoning (basil and black ground pepper) and bring to a boil.
5. Simmer for about 5 minutes.
6. Add the basmati rice (see picture above) and simmer the soup until the rice is cooked to your desired texture (I like the rice best just before it is fully cooked - when it is a little chewy).
7. Remove the pot from the heat and slowly stir in 1 cup of the whipping cream.
8. In a smaller sauce pan - combine the remaining 1/2 cup of whipping cream with the 1/2 block of cream cheese and whisk together over medium heat (until combined - see picture above).
9. Slowly stir the cream cheese mixture into the soup.
10. Return the soup to the burner and heat for another 5 minutes (while slowly stirring).
Serve immediately and ENJOY!