"Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom. But if you harbor bitter envy and selfish ambition in your hearts, do not boast about it or deny the truth. Such 'wisdom' does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, of the devil. For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice.
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness." James 3:13-18
Selfish ambition and bitterness are characteristics that most of us in today's society have dealt with at some point in our lives. We live in a selfish time where "getting to the top" is a necessity to many. The "Bitterness" part comes whether we make it to the top or not. Those that do fulfill their selfish ambition become bitter because it's not enough and they want & need more. Those that don't "make it to the top" are bitter and jealous of those that did. Nothing good will ever come from selfishness.
Here again we are talking about our ACTIONS, which speak louder than words. "Let him show it by his good life, by deeds done in the humility that comes from wisdom." You cannot be selfish & humble at the same time - it's impossible!
Sometimes, "good" deeds might be present but they might seem a little off or insincere. When someone holds "selfish ambition in their hearts" their actions will eventually show that sin. This earthly, unspiritual & devilish wisdom shows itself when someone brags about what they have done or twists the truth through their actions. These are deceptive actions causing disorder and destruction.
Heavenly wisdom from God however, shines through our humble actions. Let's look at actions that come from "The Wisdom of Heaven":
- Pure - clean, wholesome, moral. Good actions come from pure thoughts - click HERE to read "Think Good Thoughts"
- Peace loving - holding your tongue and responding calmly even in times of adversity
- Considerate - putting others before ourselves.
- Submissive - obedient first to God & then to the leaders that God has put in place.
- Full of Mercy - forgiving actions of others that would normally warrant a punishment.
- Fruits of the Spirit - love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness & self-control. Click HERE to view "The Spiritual Fruit of the Month Club"
- Impartial - not showing any favoritism or prejudice.
- Sincere - coming from our true motives - not fake or forced.
Are your actions "heavenly wise"??