I miss the old hymns that I remember from my childhood - there were no drums, no electric guitar and no mind numbing beat. It was just voices and maybe a piano or an organ. The choir led the congregation in singing - and the words of these hymns are poetic. I realize that there is a need for the modern "seeker oriented" worship music - but it is also necessary to have deeper songs (no offense intended to anyone who prefers the newer church songs).
I decided to have an "Old Fashion Sunday Hymn Sing" once a month on this blog.
I personally do NOT have a great singing voice - I used to play the guitar & piano but my voice is NOT an instrument. That's the great thing about this digital hymn sing, you can warble along without being embarrassed or without offending anyone else.
The hymns that we will be studying are taken from an old hymnal from a Baptist church that is no longer in existence - "The North American Hymnal" published in 1956 by "THE ROGER WILLIAMS PRESS"
Today's featured hymn is "Take My Life and Let It Be" written by Frances R. Havergal (1836-1879) composed by H. A. Cesar Malan (1787-1864). The author of this beautiful hymn only lived to be 43 years old. In that short period of time she published 4 books, learned Latin, Greek & Hebrew and she also memorized the Psalms, the book of Isaiah & most of the New Testament! Enjoy this amazing hymn.
Please take the time to listen to the YouTube videos below the lyrics. The tune and words are a little different in both versions - the first version is the tune that I remember but the second one has the lyrics that I remember but with a different tune - ENJOY!
Turn with me to number 249 in your hymnals and let's sing:
Take My Life, and Let It Be
written by Frances R. Havergal (1836-1879) composed by H. A. Cesar Malan(1787-1864)
1. Take my life, and let it be Consecrated, Lord, to Thee, Take my moments my days; Let them flow in ceaseless praise, Let them flow in ceaseless praise.
2. Take my hands, and let them move At the impulse of They love. Take my feet, and let them be Swift and beautiful for Thee, Swift and beautiful for Thee.
3. Take my voice, and let me sing, Always, only, for my King. Take my intellect, and use Every power as Thou shalt choose, Every power as Thou shalt choose,
4. Take my will, and make it Thine; It shall be no longer mine. Take my heart, it is Thine own; It shall be Thy royal throne, It shall be Thy royal throne.
5. Take my love; my Lord, I pour At Thy feet its treasure-store. Take my self, and I will be Ever, only, all for Thee, Ever, only, all for Thee.
A special thanks to "isBaptist Toronto" for sharing this with us!
A special thanks to "THENBA" for sharing this with us!
Other Hymns on this blog:
God Bless Our Native Land
Living For Jesus A Life That Is True
Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus
When I Survey the Wondrous Cross
Savior Like A Shepherd Lead Us
What A Wonderful Savior!
All the Way My Savior Leads Me
Take Time To Be Holy
Be Still My Soul
Just As I Am, Without One Plea
Revive Us Again
"Prayer Warriors United" is a google+ Community where Christians come together in prayer.
Click HERE to view or join this community
If you need prayer please fill out this